Updated on 28 May 2021
Reading time: 3 minutes
A two-hour train journey from Paris, with one international airport and four cross-Channel ports, Normandy is easily accessible by rail, air, ship and road, thanks to excellent transport connections.
From the UK
- Brittany Ferries: Portsmouth to Le Havre, Caen-Ouistreham and Cherbourg, Poole to Cherbourg
- DFDS Seaways: Newhaven to Dieppe
- Irish Ferries: Dublin to Cherbourg
- Stena Line: Rosslare to Cherbourg
- Brittany Ferries: Rosslare to Cherbourg
From the Channel Islands and the Chausey Islands
- Manche Iles Express*: From Diélette, Barneville Carteret and Granville, to the Channel Islands of Jersey, Guernsey, Sark and Alderney, and to the Chausey Islands
- Jolie France*: From Granville to the Chausey Islands
*Please note some ferry crossings are seasonal
Whether travelling on national roads, motorways or country lanes, plan your route, distances, travel time, and tolls and petrol costs on viamichelin.com
- From Paris Gare Saint-Lazare train station: Rouen, Le Havre, Dieppe, Fécamp, Evreux, Bernay, Lisieux, Deauville, Caen, Bayeux and Cherbourg
- From Paris Gare Montparnasse train station: Alençon, Bagnoles de l’Orne, Argentan, Granville and the Mont-Saint-Michel.
- The coach company Blablabus runs out of a few French cities to Normandy (such as Paris)
- Flixbus also connects Paris to many cities in Normandy
Normandy has an extensive public transport network, enabling you to have a full day out exploring the area without using the car.
Travelling around Normandy
Make use of the Comment j’y vais search engine to get as quickly as possible from A to B on public transport in Normandy (website available in English).
With over 310 miles (500km) of cycling routes, there’s no better way to explore the stunning scenery and rich heritage of Normandy than on a bike. . The varied cycling routes offer a range of great cycling experiences to suit all ages and abilities, from traffic-free family rides to challenging hilly trails.
Normandy is surrounded by three international airports – Paris Charles de Gaulle, Paris Orly and Nantes International Airport, with daily flights from destinations all over the world. Normandy itself boasts four airports mainly for domestic flights; however, Caen-Carpiquet and Deauville Airports also runs regular international flights.