Azeville Battery

Patrimoine culturel,

AZEVILLE

Azeville – Batterie – 0
BATTERIE D'AZEVILLE
Azeville – Batterie – 1
BATTERIE D'AZEVILLE
Azeville – Batterie – 2 (Copy)
BATTERIE D'AZEVILLE
Azeville – Batterie – 3 (Copy)
BATTERIE D'AZEVILLE
batterie-azeville-1
BATTERIE D'AZEVILLE
batterie-azeville-2
BATTERIE D'AZEVILLE
BATTERIE D’AZEVILLE
© BATTERIE D’AZEVILLE
BATTERIE D’AZEVILLE
cg50
BATTERIE D’AZEVILLE
cg50
BATTERIE D’AZEVILLE
cg50

Built between 1942 and 1944 by the Todt organisation, located 4,35 miles north of Sainte-Mère-Eglise and 3.10 miles back from the beach, the Azeville battery is one of the main fortifications of the Atlantic Wall and was built inland, to protect beaches of the Eastern coast of the Cotentin Peninsula. Provided with an impressive complex of concrete underground (0.5 miles), 4 casemates with artillery guns of 4,13 inches and a German garrison with 170 men. It was one of the priority objectives of WWII allies on June 6th 1944.

Taking part in the fights from the beginning of the Landing, the battery bombards all the area of Utah Beach during more than three and half days.
Its action significantly held up the allied forces who ended up having to pass around the battery. The position finally fell on the 9th June after intense fighting and several counter attacks.

Services

Equipment

  • Toilets
  • Picnic area

Sittings

  • Shop
  • Bicycle parking
  • Animals welcome
  • Groups welcome