Château de Caen


Pets accepted
Built around 1060 by William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy then King of England, the ducal castle in Caen is now home to the Musée de Normandie (Normandy Museum) and the Musée des Beaux Arts (Museum of Fine Arts).
Contact details

Château de Caen

14000 CAEN

Phone : 02 31 30 47 90


WithoutObligatory for groups



  • Normandy Sites and Monuments Club
  • Rates

    Free for groups

    Non-guided visit / Right to speak for an outside guide : 25€.

    Rate for adult group From 70 €

    Guided tour

    School group rate From 20 €

    Guided tour


    Pets accepted


    Play area

    Free WIFI


    Learning activity

    Supervised learning activity

    Junior workshop


    Temporary exhibitions

    Specific theme activities

    Specialist conferences


    Guided tour

    Educational visits

    Coach Parking


    Bar, cafeteria, tea room



    Visite guidées sur demande - yes
    Average time90 minutes60 minutes
    Further informationEntrance free and at leisure within the ramparts. Educational visits in F or GB by the Normandy Museum by appointment: 1hr/1hr30 (groups of minimum 10). Visit at leisure with observation game or guided. For the very young, visits with models, new games and 3D animation. Guided tours for adults by the Caen Tourist Office.


    Coach parking
    Groups acccepted
    Minimum number of people 10
    Built around 1060 by William the Conqueror the castle was a favourite residence of Dukes of Normandy and Kings of England, giving additional significance to one of the largest fortified constructions in Europe. The ramparts, Porte des Champs gateway, remains of the old dungeon, exchequer hall and Saint Georges Church bear testimony to the past in an enclosed area which today houses the Normandy Museum and the Fine Arts Museum with its exhibitions. The subject of a massive refurbishment project, the castle offers magnificent views over the town from the restored panoramic terrace and brings back to life some of the secrets buried beneath the gun terrace reconstructed in the Rampart Rooms. Visits and workshops can be organised for mental, physical, visual and audio handicaps.

    Further information

    Environment : In the town centre