The origins of the Confraternities of Charity date back to the 12th century and developed at the end of the Middle Ages. They were prompted by the need to bury the numerous bodies of those who died during the plague epidemics. Each confraternity, attached to a parish (which would be a village nowadays) and placed under the patronage of a saint, had a distinctive banner. It usually had a set of rules. Its members include the alderman or master, the provost, the clerk, the bell ringers and the brothers. The Chennebrun Confraternity was founded in 1493 and existed until the 1950s.
The Church Notre-Dame de Chennebrun houses an exhibition displaying embroidered clothing for used for processions and funerals.
Free for all
- Free parking