CAEN

Women’s Abbey

Religious buildings

Founded around 1060 by Matilda, wife of William the Conqueror, this abbey for Benedictine nuns enjoyed great renown from the 11th century to the French Revolution. Its abbey church - the Holy Trinity church. Its 18th century convent buildings are now home to the Lower Normandy Regional Council. Guided tours every day at 2.30 p.m. and 4 p.m. Visits in both French and English - 1 hour 15 minutes.
Contact details

Women’s Abbey

Région NormandiePlace Reine Mathilde

14000 CAEN

Access

Public transport

Railway station at 3km

Airport / aerodrome at 13km

Motorway at 6km

Harbour station at 15km

Phone : 02 31 06 98 45

Mobile phone : 06 48 37 99 80

Booking

Obligatory for groups

Fixed telephone :

Garden types

French style

Classic

Romanesque

Rates

Gratuities
Rate for adult group From 2 €

Rate per person, for a guided tour

School group rate From 1 €

Rate per person, for a guided tour

Means of payment

Debit cards

Postal or bank cheques

Cash

Services

Shop

Play area

Activities

Temporary exhibitions

Facility

Guided tour

Coach Parking

Auditorium

Visits

VisitsIndividualGroup
Visite guidées sur demande - yes
Average time1 minutes -
Further informationGuided tours by appointment: 1hr.
Free access to the Park Michel d'Ornano.
-

Group

Coach parking
Groups acccepted
Minimum number of people 15
Maximum number of people 50
‘Abbaye aux Dames,’ the abbey of Benedictine nuns of the Caen Trinity, was founded around 1060 by Mathilda of Flanders, the wife of William the Conqueror. The Romanesque Church still houses Mathilda’s tomb. The 18th century convent buildings are now home to the regional council of Normandy.

Further information

Environment : In town