VILLERS-CANIVET

Villers Canivet Abbey

Religious buildings

The Cistercian monastery at Villiers-Canivet was founded in 1127. The abbey buildings suffered badly in the French Revolution and have been under restoration since 1976. They are now in a state where you can get a sense of what the abbey was once like.
The remains of the 18th century cloisters, and those of the 16th century, have been preserved. The large defensive gateway built in the 13century and much changed since, has now been put back as close to its original form as possible.
Although much work remains to be done, particularly on the abbey church, the walls have been restored and the whole remarkable set of buildings are set in a beautiful park with a large lake, giving a sense of how tranquil a setting the monks had in which to spend their life of prayer.
Contact details

Villers Canivet Abbey

1 chemin de l'Abbaye

14420 VILLERS-CANIVET

Phone : 02 31 90 81 80

Garden types

Romanesque

Rates

Base rate - full rate adult From 4.50 €
Child rate From 3.80 €

Discount - maximum age : 15 years old

Gratuities

Discount - maximum age : 6 years old

Means of payment

Postal or bank cheques

Cash

Facility

Coach Parking

Visits

VisitsIndividualGroup
Average time45 minutes -
Further informationGuided tours in F or GB: 1hr/1hr45. -

Group

Coach parking
Groups acccepted
Minimum number of people 10
A Cistercian abbey founded in 1127, where man’s handiwork is clearly evident within the walls of the monastery and cloisters as well as in the design of the surrounding park and ponds. The medieval fortified gatehouse, which dates from the 13th century, is nearly the only example of its kind in France. Restoration of the abbey began in 1976, and the site offers much of interest to visitors. Guided tours with or without Snacks.