GRIMBOSQ

The Motte-and-Bailey Castle of Olivet

Archaeological sites

The Olivet castle mound (Motte Castral d'Olivet), located in Grimbosq, is an earthen and wooden fortification built around 1040-1050 by a family of lesser lords who used it to control the territory. Its location at the summit of a hillock reinforces its defensive quality. Indeed, the mound is composed of a knoll with a stockade, wooden watchtower and a lower courtyard, in turn surrounded by an earthen rampart and a ditch. The residential and agricultural buildings were located in the lower courtyard.
Access via the Chêne Guillot car park (Grimbosq Forest). Follow the yellow marked path.
Free unaccompanied tours all year round.
Contact details

The Motte-and-Bailey Castle of Olivet

14220 GRIMBOSQ