LIVAROT-PAYS-D'AUGE

Steam Engine

In 1906, Georges Leroy, a Livarot-based owner of a company that produced ‘small nailed and stapled boxes’ acquired a steam engine he had seen in operation at the 1889 World Fair. The machine supplied the entire company with electricity up to 1957, today offering a fine symbol of the period. Listed on the French Historic Monuments supplementary inventory, the engine is open to visitors within a factory interpretation area, organised around it.
Contact details

Steam Engine

20 Rue Georges Leroy
Livarot

14140 LIVAROT-PAYS-D'AUGE

Phone : 02 31 61 88 18

Mobile phone : 06 67 60 68 24

Garden types

19th century

Rates

Gratuities

Visits

VisitsIndividualGroup
Further informationDuration of the visit: 45 min. -

Group

Livarot, the ultimate cheese-making town, underwent a true agri-food revolution in the late 19th century and early 20th century. The industrialist Georges Leroy opened a factory making “small nailed, stapled boxes” on the site of an old spinning mill in Livarot. In 1906, he acquired a steam machine that he had seen in operation at the 1889 World’s Fair. It supplied his business with electricity until 1957. Now registered on the supplementary inventory of Historic Monuments, it can be viewed in an interpretation area within the factory that was created around it.