VILLERS-CANIVET

Abbaye Sainte-Marie aux Dames

Religious buildings

The abbey has preserved the rural character typical of Cistercian abbeys. The 13th century gatehouse with foot and carriage entrances, is the only medieval Cistercian gatehouse to have survived virtually in its original state throughout France. Exhibitions and concerts from May to September. One hour visits in French and English. Access to the park during guided tours.
Contact details

Abbaye Sainte-Marie aux Dames

1 chemin de l'Abbaye

14420 VILLERS-CANIVET

Phone : 02 31 90 81 80

Rates

Base rate - full rate adult From 4,50 €
Child rate From 3,80 €

Discount - maximum age : 15 years old

Gratuities

Discount - maximum age : 6 years old

Rate for adult group from 3,80 at 9 €

(according to visit)

School group rate From 2,50 €
Means of payment

Postal or bank cheques

Cash

Opening times

Open from May 1st to September 25th from 2 to 6pm. Closed on mondays and tuesdays.

Facility

Coach Parking

Visits

VisitsIndividualGroup
Average time45 minutes -
Further informationGuided tours in F or GB: 1hr/1hr45. -

Group

Coach parking
Groups acccepted
Minimum number of people 25
A Cistercian abbey founded in 1127, where man’s handiwork is clearly evident within the walls of the monastery and cloisters as well as in the design of the surrounding park and ponds. The medieval fortified gatehouse, which dates from the 13th century, is nearly the only example of its kind in France. Restoration of the abbey began in 1976, and the site offers much of interest to visitors. Guided tours with or without Snacks.