CAEN

Abbaye aux Dames

Religious buildings

Founded around 1060 by Matilda, wife of William the Conqueror, this abbey for Benedictine nuns enjoyed great renown from the 11th century to the French Revolution. Its abbey church - the Holy Trinity church. Its 18th century convent buildings are now home to the Lower Normandy Regional Council. Guided tours every day at 2.30 p.m. and 4 p.m. Visits in both French and English - 1 hour 15 minutes.
Contact details

Abbaye aux Dames

Région NormandiePlace Reine Mathilde

14000 CAEN

Phone : 02 31 06 98 45

Fax : 02 31 06 98 75

Mobile phone : 06 48 37 99 80

Rates

Gratuities

Services

Shop

Activities

Temporary exhibitions

Facility

Auditorium

Visits

VisitsIndividualGroup
Average time60 minutes -
Further informationGuided tours by appointment: 1hr.
Free access to the Park Michel d'Ornano.
-

Group

Groups acccepted
‘Abbaye aux Dames,’ the abbey of Benedictine nuns of the Caen Trinity, was founded around 1060 by Mathilda of Flanders, the wife of William the Conqueror. The Romanesque Church still houses Mathilda’s tomb. The 18th century convent buildings are now home to the regional council of Normandy.