> Saint-Rémy-sur-Orne (Website in French) : Here, the earth was rich in iron ore, which was extracted from pits known as Les Fosses d’Enfer (or Pits of Hell) from 1460 until 1968. Now the Musée des Fosses d’Enfer and Normandy Geological Resource Centre relate Normandy’s geological story as well as charting the lives of the local miners. Notre-Dame Chapel, with its altar placed on a mining truck, was built by miners in the 20th century.
> Château de la Motte : This magnificent listed building was constructed between 1598 and 1614, and is a good example of early French classical architecture. The castle’s gardens are well worth seeing, as is the fine Romanesque church in nearby Acqueville.
> Thury-Harcourt (Website in French) : Northern gateway to the Suisse Normande, Thury-Harcourt had a major castle and a significant industrial past, with tanneries and enamelling factories. However, the village was destroyed by German forces in 1944, so it had to be entirely rebuilt after the war. The ruined castle is surrounded by enchanting gardens beside the Orne River.
> Saint-Omer : As well as its Romanesque church, refurbished between the 18th and 19th centuries, Saint-Omer is known for the remains of the Abbaye du Val, a former Augustinian establishment. As to the site of Saint-Clair's Chapel, it offers fine views over the plains of Falaise and Caen towards the sea, the Seine estuary and the hills of the Pays d'Auge.
> Tranchée du Hom : The rocks were cut through here in 1883 to allow a road to be built between Thury-Harcourt and Aunay-sur-Odon.
> Saint-Martin-de-Sallen (website in French): see Saint-Martin's Church, Saint-Joseph's Chapel and the graves of British soldiers.